Eating more fresh produce can help us towards a balanced diet and provide the vitamins and minerals that our body needs. There’s a host of colourful fruit and vegetables to set you on the road to good health, so try something different today.
Five good reasons to eat more fruit & vegetables:
- Fruit and vegetables taste delicious and there’s a wide variety to choose from.
- They’re a good source of vitamins and minerals.
- They’re an excellent source of dietary fibre, which helps maintain a healthy gut and prevent constipation and other digestion problems.
- A diet high in fibre can also reduce your risk of bowel cancer.
- They can help reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke and some cancers.
Five-a-day is easy!
Here are five very easy ways to help you towards your five portions of fruit & vegetables a day:
- Slice a banana onto your morning cereal
- Swap your mid-morning biscuit for an orange
- Add a side salad to your lunch, or include a slice of pineapple
- Add a portion of vegetables to your dinner
- And snack on dried fruit in the evening
Bananas – they’re low in fat, rich in vitamins and minerals, and provide a wonderfully healthy snack to banish those between-meals hunger pangs.
- They satisfy your hunger, but they’re only 95 calories.
- They give you energy.
- They’re rich in vitamins and minerals – especially potassium, which acts as a counter balance against salt.
- They’re full of fibre, to aid digestion.
- They taste GREAT!
Containing three natural sugars (sucrose, fructose and glucose) and plenty of fibre, a banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy. Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90 minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with some of the world’s leading athletes!
About the author
Fyffes – we’re famous for our bananas. When Edward Fyffe brought his first few bunches of bananas over from the Canary Islands in September 1888, little could he have imagined that his banana business would grow to become the UK number 1 and the biggest Fairtrade Banana supplier to Europe. We’ve branched out too and the Fyffes Blue Label, first applied in 1929, now also appears on top quality supersweet pineapples. Fyffes – fyffe times better than your average banana. For more information visit www.Fyffes.com