The perfect present for those who want to give something extra special to those who have everything, or those who want to treat themselves, this mouth-watering Old Speckled Hen Fudge is sure to tantalise those taste buds. Indulgent, creamy and melt-in-the-mouth, it’s sure to become a firm favourite through the festive season and beyond.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooling Time: 6 hours
420g demerara sugar
120g unsalted butter
1 x 397g of condensed milk
60-80ml Old Speckled Hen
- Put everything, except the Old Speckled Hen, into a large saucepan. Heat over a low heat until the sugar has all dissolved.
- Gently bring the mixture to the boil and simmer it for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently to stop it sticking to the pan. Take care while the mixture boils and during stirring, as the fudge will be VERY hot!
- If you have a sugar thermometer boil until the temperature reaches 118°C. If you do not have one after simmering for 10 minutes, drop some mixture into a glass of ice cold water. If it forms a soft ball of fudge, it is ready. If not boil for a little longer and repeat the process.
- Take the fudge off the heat and beat with a wooden spoon, adding a splash of Old Speckled Hen every few seconds. Beat for about 8-10 minutes until it goes thick and firm and beginning to set
- Pour the mix into a greaseproof-lined tin. Let it cool for about half an hour and then cut into squares.
About the author
Old Speckled Hen was first brewed in 1979 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the MG car factory in Abingdon, Oxfordshire. Now crafted in Greene King’s Bury St Edmunds brewery, this icon of British brewing has a distinctively refined and fruity aroma which has attracted many fans – including the much-loved Henry the Fox who is always on the hunt for a bottle of this award-winning tipple. The full range includes Old Speckled Hen, Old Golden Hen, Old Hoppy Hen and Old Crafty Hen. For more information visit: www.oldspeckledhen.co.uk