As the sub-zero temperatures linger in the air, it’s a much warmer affair seen in our retail windows and store space as rails are filled with Spring/Summer 2012 collections.
From the fashion runways such as Preen, Mary Katrantzou and Pringle – prints was the hottest trend for Spring/Summer. We saw oversize floral blooms, paisley, tribal and asymmetrical graphic prints. They covered everything from jackets to trousers and dresses.
Prints can be tricky, but that doesn’t mean you can’t wear them and look fabulous. If you follow a few guidelines that I’ve broken down by body shape, you will achieve balance regardless of print.
- If you identify with being a pear shape/triangle shaped body: wear your prints on the top. Prints on the lower half of a pear shape won’t be as flattering. A printed blouse in a big pattern will balance out your wider hips and narrow torso.
- If you’re more of an apple/circle shaped body: Try and keep prints on the bottom. Find skirts or shorts in a bold print to balance out your top-heavy shape and don’t forget to show off your best assets – your legs!
- Perhaps you have a strawberry/inverted triangle shaped body: wear prints that are more asymmetrical but keep the lines of the garment clean and unfussy near your broad shoulders. Prints found in mid length pleated skirts flatter your slender waist and bring softer lines to your athletic build.
- If you have an hourglass shaped body: this body shape can either wear an all over print or clashes of prints but just remember to keep away from shapeless styles that don’t show off your curves.
- If you have a straight/rectangle shaped body: choose bright graphic prints. A boyish figure looks great in dresses that has fit and flare. Find one that will add dimension to you body and don’t wear anything that simply hangs straight or is without any shaping detail at all.
From high-end to high street, we are spoilt for choice with prints coming in every size, colour and style. We are definitely ready to shed our heavy coats and spring forward to warmer weather!
About the author
Priscilla Poon is a professional fashion expert with over 13 years of experience in Fashion buying, styling and grooming based in Central London. She is the founder of Shikkuu Guides, a London personal shopping and image consultancy company. Priscilla’s aim is to create a wonderful experience for everyone at very affordable prices. ‘We have styled and educated men and women of every size, shape, age and style to give them confidence and understanding on how to look amazing and put “their best foot forward” as well as offering a world class service to all our clients,’ she says. Priscilla is a member of the Association of Stylists and Image Professionals. www.shikkuuguides.com
Read more articles from the Fashionista click here
Picture credit: Shutterstock